Wednesday, June 24, 2009

What we would do...

I enjoyed the three blogs I read, all the ideas the teacher had was very interesting and I agreed with most of them. I think the three questions are great questions for all educators to think about and possibly make there own list.

If I were brave I would do the same thing many teachers would do I would stop all the testing, true learning does not necessarily come from a test but more from experience. I know that personally I have a very difficult time with test and many students are the same way, and I do not think it is fare because many of the students that have a problem with a test actually know the material. Most of the time you can ask a student a question about something and they can talk about it all day but if given on a test they forget completely, so if I were brave I would find more ways to help students learn than by giving test.

Ways I would make my school unique is I would try to have more educational field trips and activities for the students, to stimulate them. Also I would try to organize ways for educators to be more connected with one another, most teachers go to work and then go home. I think more teachers need to interact with one another even if its outside the school. By doing this they can share thoughts and ideas and better their own teaching skills.

Why I love teaching I am sure once I start teaching the reasons will grow, but with my experience as a substitute I have developed a bigger love for teaching than before. I love the look on a students face when he or she accomplishes something and they are so proud of what they have done. Also from another outlook, kids now days have it hard so many parents are busy working, getting divorces, or many on drugs that the children have no one to turn to and school is there only outlet. As an educator I want to be fully aware of these situations so I can better help students. I recently had the opportunity to substitute a second grade class where a child was just removed from his school because of being taken away from his parents the child was reserved and kept to himself. The day I was there the class was to practice counting money, and as everyone finished he was still sitting and trying to figure it out. I asked the boy to come sit with me that I would help him, and as we worked he slowly got the hang of it and he was the happiest child to be able to count money! At the time of helping him I did not know his situation but it goes to show always be sensitive because you never know what a child faces at home, that is why I love teaching!

No comments:

Post a Comment